Sunday, February 28, 2016

Alternative to the Slime rechargeable tire inflator

I have found a tire inflator that is just as effective as the one made by Slime. It's called the Goodyear i8000 tire inflator. This tire inflator is basic compared to the one offered by Slime but, it will inflate just as well as the Slime tire inflator.


Inside the box

Inside the box, you will get the Goodyear i8000 ( 9 1/8” long, 6 5/8” tall including the handle, 3 3/8” wide) and adapters for sporting goods and rafts.

Unlike the Slime tire inflator, it's powered by your 120-volt electrical outlet and is 150 PSI. The PVC air hose has a screw-on valve and is 17' long. The power cord is 6' long. It also has an analog gauge.


My experience with the Goodyear i8000

I have found that this inflator works just as well as the Slime tire inflator. I have inflated bike tires and a variety of other things around the house, including various sizes of automobile tires. The maximum time that it took me to inflate a tire on one of my biggest automobiles was 6 minutes. This was for a 2002 Chevy Suburban that had a tire that was completely flat. It's no comparison (like the Slime tire inflator) to the inflators at gas stations but, it does the job in a decent amount of time.

I have also found that this inflator is not as convenient as the Slime tire inflator. This tire inflator is not convenient for two reasons. The first reason (as I mentioned earlier) is that it has to be plugged into an electrical outlet. The second reason is that I will occasionally have to carry an extension cord for certain situations. But, having to do these things has also been an advantage to me.

The Slime Tire inflator has to be charged on a regular basis. If it is neglected the battery will discharge and it will become increasingly difficult to recharge the battery. With the Goodyear i8000, I have more peace of mind. I can let it sit for long periods of time without worrying about a battery that is discharging.


Durability

So far, I have been happy with the Goodyear i8000. I bought it in 2013 and it's still performing well.

I have completely stopped using the Slime tire inflator. I made the mistake of letting the battery discharge too many times. As a result, the inflator never functioned well again.

At one point(even though it was never recommended by Slime) I tried to fix the Slime tire inflator. In an attempt to make it work again, I opened it up and replaced the battery. I found that this was possible after researching online.

In total, I bought two batteries. The first battery allowed me to use the inflator for a short period of time. It worked well but, it malfunctioned again. I bought the second battery assuming that the first one was a defect. But, I got a similar performance from the second battery.

After these failed attempts I decided that it wouldn't be wise to continue with any more attempts. I also decided that it wouldn't be wise to purchase this model of Slime tire inflator again. I liked the Slime tire inflator but, I didn't want to deal with the possibility of any more battery issues.


Overall

If you have bought the Slime rechargeable tire inflator or have one on the way, there should be no need to panic. It lasted a decent amount of time before the battery issued developed. It also did a good job of inflating tires etc, before the problems developed.

But, if you have been undecided or looking for an alternative, the Goodyear i8000 would be a good choice. It's a simple alternative that will give you peace of mind and you will be satisfied by the way that this inflator performs.