Thursday, August 26, 2010

The best strings for an electric guitar

    When I  first started playing guitar I paid very little attention to the strings. I used the original strings that came with the guitar for a long time. I wasn’t even aware that I eventually had to change them. As time went on, I learned more about guitar strings. Soon after that, I started to learn how to play guitar songs. This is when my string problems begin.

    My original strings were 9-gauge. It was with this gauge that I started to learn how to play The Thrill is Gone. Within two to three weeks of learning this song, I broke my high E string. This was a problem because at the time I couldn’t afford to get new strings at this pace. So I started searching for a better set of strings. I tried a few varieties but all of the high E strings broke within the same time frame. Some lasted close to the end of the month, and one set only lasted two days. I decided to do more research.

    After doing more research I decided that maybe it was time to get the next gauge. But, I was hesitant because I read that it was a possibility that adjustments would have to be made on the guitar. I didn’t know how to make these adjustments (intonation, etc.). So, I got more information on the subject so I would have it if I ever needed it. After some time, I went to a local guitar store and I got three packs of strings. I bought two packs of nine-gauge strings and one pack of 10 gauge strings. I decided to try the 10 gauge strings first and I left the nine-gauge strings available in case I didn’t like the 10 gauge strings.

    I installed the strings, made the necessary adjustments, and marked a date on the calendar so I could test the durability of the strings. The strings lasted two months instead of about one month, like the nine-gauge strings. I had found a longer-lasting set of strings but it was harder to do string bends and vibrato. I thought about going back to nine-gauge strings for a while but I figured I would eventually get stronger. After a short time, I finally decided to just stick with the 10 gauge strings. But, I wanted to find a better set of ten gauge strings.

   I did more research and I finally found what I feel is a better 10-gauge set of strings. These strings are made by Dean Markley. They are Dean Markley Signature Series NickelSteel(a 10-46 gauge)electric guitar strings. What I have found with these strings is that they are very long-lasting(more than two months) and are easy to control. String bending and vibrato are very easy. I have also found that barre chords are easier with this brand. In addition, have found that their durability makes them more economical too. So, if you're looking for a better set of electric guitar strings I think these are the way to go. I think these strings would be good for the professional and for the person who plays guitar as a hobby, like me.